People with Cancer have different Diet needs. Our last post threw some light on Foods you can incorporate into your diet to Prevent Cancer. Today we would like to share a list of foods that doctors around the world encourage Cancer patients to include in their diets.
Cancer treatments can cause side effects that may lead to eating problems such as :
- Appetite loss
- Changes in sense of taste or smell
- Lactose intolerance
- Sore throat and trouble swallowing
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
Depending on the kind of cancer and the treatment you maybe undergoing , the side effects may differ.
While undergoing treatment one must try to incorporate the following tips in their everyday lifestyle :-
- Eat plenty of protein and calories when you can. This helps you keep up your strength and helps rebuild tissues harmed by cancer treatment.
- Eat when you have the biggest appetite. For many people, this is in the morning. You might want to eat a bigger meal early in the day and drink liquid meal replacements later on.
- Eat those foods that you can, even if it is only one or two items.
- Do not worry if you cannot eat at all some days. Spend this time finding other ways to feel better, and start eating when you can.
- Drink plenty of liquids. It is even more important to get plenty to drink on days when you cannot eat. Drinking a lot helps your body get the liquid it needs.
- Most adults should drink 8 to 12 cups of liquid a day. You may find this easier to do if you keep a water bottle nearby.
Some cancer treatments can make you more likely to get infections. When this happens, you need to take special care in the way you handle and prepare food. Here’s how :-
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Put leftovers in the refrigerator as soon as you are done eating.
- Avoid cracked or un-refrigerated eggs.
- Check expiration dates to avoid food spoilage, and throw away any moldy foods.
- Cook all your meats until they’re well done.
- Don’t buy bulk foods from open bins, like salad greens.
- Keep all perishable foods in the fridge until you’re ready to prepare them.
- Prep your food on surfaces that are cleaned with soapy, hot water.
- Use a separate cutting board for raw meat, fish, or poultry. Wash it thoroughly after each use.Scrub and rinse fruits and vegetables thoroughly. Don’t eat any fruits or vegetables that you can’t wash easily, such as raspberries. Scrub the outsides, even if you don’t eat them, like the rind of a melon
Certain foods can help ease the common discomforts from cancer treatment.
- Conquer constipation by drinking water and eating high-fiber foods like beans, lentils, vegetables, and fresh or dried fruit.
- Drive away diarrhea with bland foods such as rice, bananas, and apples. Drink water to stay hydrated.
- Protect mouth sores and avoid dry mouth by grinding or pureeing foods to make them easier to swallow. Or eat foods that are already soft and mostly liquid, like soups and milk or yogurt shakes.
- Deal with nausea by choosing bland foods and foods without strong odors. Steer clear of greasy foods. Go easy on your stomach by eating small meals throughout the day. Drink plenty of water even if you are vomiting.
Certain Foods like Soy , Ginger , Eggs , Yogurt , Legumes maybe consumed after consulting your doctor as they’re known to aid in the healing process and combat Cancer.
We advise you to consult your doctor and nutritionist and the above stated information is only as a reference and may vary from case to case.photo credits : The world according to a Princess